Sunday, May 1, 2011

The book truck

     Over the past year or so I have been seeing this truck everywhere. If there is a festival, fair, or anything that draws a crowd in Dayton, you may be able to find this vehicle parked somewhere not far from the action. It can also be regularly spotted in the Oregon District on weekends.
      The truck is owned by a man name David Hurwitz and what makes it special is that it is used to transport books that are given out for free. Wherever you see the truck you will see several boxes set up behind it on a table. A sign posted there will encourage you to look through the boxes and take any book that you want. The content of the books is seemingly random  but I am usually able to find at least one that interests me. I've picked up a couple of fiction books on varying subjects, one on eastern philosophy, and a identification guide of plants of Ohio. There are also usually plenty of paperback romance novels too, if that's the kind of thing you're into.
      One of the signs said that many of these books are donated by Friends of Planned Parenthood, and Look At A Book. Look At a Book is an organization that is based out of Ohio that is commited to providing literature to places all over the world. Information about them can be found at this address. lookatabook.com
     Before you get to look at any of the books you will most likely be forced to notice the way the truck is decorated. David has turned his truck into an art project of sorts and has almost completely covered it in an array of items, ranging from seashells and bumper stickers, to etch a sketches and action figures.
     So if you ever see this truck parked somewhere, go and look through the books that are available. I'm sure you'll find something to interest you. Below are some more pictures of David's truck.



   

5 comments:

  1. Great post! I've seen that guy and his truck while walking around in the Oregon District. Do you know if he's on any kind of a schedule? I may have to try and catch him down there some day soon.

    A couple quick notes... I prefer to leave out the indents at the beginning of paragraphs and put a space between them, but maybe that's just a personal preference thing. Also, you might want to spread your pics out a bit rather than having them all tacked on there at the end.

    Other than that, excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the pics being together like you have them, I did something similar on mine as well, but I do think they should all have the same spacing. Its crazy how the art on the truck blends in with your background. There are a few gramatical errors, but im sure Sandy will tell you about that part. Good post Cody. I've seen that truck everywhere and I've always wondered who funded the project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom is friends with that guy lol. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really cool. I'd have to stand there for an hour just looking at everything on the truck. I admire what he's doing. Great choice for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen that gentleman at the Celtic Festival and other downtown events. You wrote a great piece. I was left with two questions: why does he give out free books--what is the motivation behind it? Also how does he make a living giving out free books? Is he retired or something else? Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete