Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Free Wall

     There is a lot of interesting graffiti around Dayton. Some people see it as as vandalism and others view it as art. Some (like myself) think that it really is up to the viewer to make that distinction. Of course, with so many differing opinions on street art how do we decide where these artists can do their work?
      There is a place where this problem has been solved though. However, I don't think it is a very well known location. Many people call it the free wall, because it is one of the only spots (that I know of) in Dayton where you are legally allowed to spray paint whatever you want. When I heard about this place from a friend I immediately decided that I wanted to check it out. So the next day me and my friend Amanda decided to take a trip to the wall and she brought her camera along with her. All of the photos in this entry were taken by her and used with her permission unless noted otherwise. Here are directions to the wall if you would like to look at it yourself.


      The free wall is located near some train tracks and has various plants and weeds growing in front of it depending on the time of the year you go. I think right now is probably the perfect time to head out there in you are interested because you can see the entire wall from top to bottom and dont have to go through any plants to see the all of the art. 


      




      I personally believe that more spaces like this should be setup in the Dayton area because quite frankly, there are a lot of abandoned buildings and blank walls that are nothing but an eyesore, and some of this art could add some more color and personality to those areas.

Edit: I also found some other pictures of the wall that were taken from a Flickr account I found using google. The photographer does not give a name so I can not really attribute them to anyone in particular.
Here is a link to the account though.
   
 

4 comments:

  1. Nice post... the painting of Beetlejuice and Lydia from the old cartoon show is priceless!

    You've got an extra "as" in the first sentence and a couple of other typos, and you need to put a space between your first two paragraphs, but other than that, it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. I have always wondered if graffiti should be art. I think I like the Free Wall idea because give me some spray paint, and I definitely couldn't do ANY of what these girls/or guys can do with spray paint.

    Your use of visuals and links works well with your blog. I love the links because you are providing us with infomration and where to find the free wall if we want to check it out. Furthermore, very interesting topic...who would have thought Dayton has a free wall!

    Kudos to the blog and the free wall!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree for the most part, if old buildings are just sitting around looking like crap, then tag them up. However, I think that would take away from the aspect of tagging in general. There is an episode of the Boondocks that features a cartoon version of Bob Ross. You should check that out! Your images are very good and really adds a boost to your story. The McDonald's Grafitti is sick!

    ReplyDelete