Sunday, May 22, 2011

     When I attended Urban Nights I noticed quite a few people riding around town on yellow bikes. I thought it was strange that I kept seeing the same bikes over and and thought that it couldn't just be a coincidence. I asked around for a little and was eventually told that they were part of a new initiative downtown called simply "The Yellow Bike Program."      
     This new program is meant to help transform the city of Dayton into a bicycle friendly community. And here's how it works. You see a yellow bike downtown, you take it and ride it to your destination and then you leave it at another bike rack for someone else to use when you finish it.     
     This idea sounded unbelievable to me at first. I can't believe that these bikes are just loaned out to whoever decides to walk up and take one. There are no forms to fill out, and no cost at all. I was skeptical about the idea at first because it seems to me that all of the bikes would be stolen in a week. However, I learned that the Dayton police and many of the local pawn shops have been informed about the bikes and that if they find any of them the bikes will be taken and simply placed back into the system. Only time will tell how long this system based on good faith will last though. 
 Now don't get me wrong. I full heartedly support this idea. The bikes will provide people with alternatives to waiting around for a bus, and will give people with cars the option of not driving if they should choose to do so. The bikes are also environmentally friendly and will save a lot of people money on gas. I know that the next time Im downtown for the dayI will try to utilize this valuable service.    

No comments:

Post a Comment